Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Poppy Seed Tea Bread Recipe

Flora and Susan requested that I post this recipe. It's been in my family for about 20 years. Some of you have had it from us, and some have had it elsewhere. It is one of our favorites. We hope you enjoy it.

Poppy Seed Tea Bread

3 cups flour
2 ½ cups sugar
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
3 eggs
1 ½ cups milk
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
1 ½ teaspoons almond extract
1 ½ teaspoons butter flavoring

Preheat oven to 325˚ In large bowl of electric mixer, or with a rotary beater, blend all ingredients until well mixed—about 2 minutes. Pour into two greased and floured loaf pans and bake 60 minutes, or until cake tester is clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan.

Glaze: ¼ cup fresh orange juice
¾ cup sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon almond extract
½ teaspoon vegetable oil

Heat all ingredients until sugar melts. Prick bread with a fork and cover with warm glaze.
**Sometimes I do this while the loaves are still in the pan; sometimes I place the loaves on a cooling rack before I glaze them. I think they’re better when the glaze soaks in more, but it’s a matter of personal taste.

Enjoy!
Rebecca

No comments: